KiwiMonitor.com

Kiwi tools support Forum
It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:17 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:57 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, no app is allowed to run as admin on startup. Kiwi doesn't have to run as admin (it needs admin rights to get advanced process information)

I din't test it with 8.1, just the ordinary 8 version and it works there for 6 months now. (no admin rights)
Looks like 8.1 introduced some new security stuff :(

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:50 pm 

I got your program to minimize the little MS Speech Recognition Control Window at startup, but instead of collapsing to the notification area, it turns into a ghostly see-through window that is movable but not controllable. Haha. I know this is not your fault. Why can't Microsoft play by it's own rules?

The other issue is trying to use XX App Start to run a program. I am used to being able to set the start directory by using 'cd' in a batch file or filling in a 'start in' text box. Without knowing the program switches which might allow certain programs to run outside their home directories, I can't get them to run using your Elements Details window.

I tried using Kiwi Set Global Variable to change 'PATH=' but that doesn't seem to carry from one action to the next. Am I missing something? Or, would changing Kiwi to start in the program home directory be a lot of trouble? You have been very helpful and this issue is not critical to my happiness. I was having fun trying to make it work. If it doesn't work, that's ok. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:15 am 
Site Admin

Since you use DOS commands you could also try the action: 'System: command prompt execute' To write the batch file.

The global variables work like this: in some action/condition you set global text variable #6 (for instance) to "my text" and then use the same global text variable in another element to read from it.
You have text and numeric variables. Example of numeric variables in the advanced rules: Examples => Advanced => 2.

You can move the Kiwi directory to wherever you like. No need to be in the Program Files. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:37 pm 

Action "System: command prompt" does allow me to run programs that expect to start in their home directory. I made the assumption that this action merely opened up a command prompt. My bad. Works great! Thanks.

I suspect you are way ahead of me, but I noticed in Task Scheduler that other programs have set up tasks during installation. I substituted my Kiwi task run command into your registry startup run command. It works but then the task scheduler command prompt flashes on the screen at startup, so for now I will leave the shortcut in the program startup folder.

I had wanted to stay with Win 8 but I felt so badgered by Microsoft to update to Win 8.1 that I finally gave in. After a frustrating adjustment period, I am comfortable in Win 8.1. I don't know the ratio of 8 to 8.1 users, but Kiwi Application Monitor is a useful program and I'm hoping it will stay updated. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:50 pm 
Site Admin

Sure, it is regulary updated. I will update as soon as I have a good solution for this problem.