KiwiMonitor.com

Kiwi tools support Forum
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:18 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:22 am 

I have a game called The Book Of Unwritten Tales which is starting to use a whopping amount of memory - 45% on my Surface Pro. Windows 8.1 warns me, but I can ignore the warning as long as I'm just playing the game and not trying to multitask with other programs.

This is my first memory issue and I would need your pro version to experiment with limiting bout.exe memory usage to, say, 30%. Since the pro version does not have a trial, I have the following questions:

1. Can a program's memory can be 'reasonably' limited and still function normally?

2. Would your program start automatically and quietly without flash screen and not impact anything else? I see that Application Monitor has a lot of features, but I just want to solve this one issue at the moment and not have to worry about another program.

3. If it doesn't solve my issue, ... ?

4. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help,
Rocky

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:54 am 
Site Admin

Hello

This feature is also available in the Free version

You can open the Process Explorer, select an open process and click the Info button on the bottom. In the advanced information window you can set the Maximum allowed working set for this application. This will limit your app's RAM usage.

The description from Microsoft:
The working set of a process is the set of memory pages currently visible to the process in physical RAM memory. These pages are resident and available for an application to use without triggering a page fault.

The working set includes both shared and private data. The shared data includes the pages that contain all the instructions that your application executes, including the pages in your .dll files and the system.dll files. As the working set size increases, memory demand increases.

A process has minimum and maximum working set sizes. Each time a process resource is created, the system reserves an amount of memory equal to the minimum working set size for the process. The virtual memory manager attempts to keep at least the minimum amount of memory resident when the process is active, but it never keeps more than the maximum size.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:34 pm 

Oops. Norton is concerned that there is not enough user info on your program. It suggests you whitelist it with Symantec at https://submit.symantec.com/whitelist/.

I see you are certified with Softpedia which I respect. But I have relied on Norton for a long time and like the way it checks downloaded executables.

I need your program and want to respect the hard work I'm sure you put into it. I have to decide whether or not to let Norton release it. Forgive me for asking for some assurance that it is ok to do so.

Thanks,
Rocky

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:34 am 
Site Admin

No problem

I've submited the application to them and waiting for a reply. Don't know how long it will take.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:42 am 

Hi.

For bout.exe, the current working set seems to not be influenced by any max working set I try to set.

Thanks, Rocky

FYI: This is minor, but the exit button in system info doesn't work. I use x at top.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:24 am 
Site Admin

I've tried it with many apps. When the max working set is set, the apps ram usage drops to that value. It starts to rise again slowly tho.
This is a standard Windows feature i'm using:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/cc441804(v=vs.85).aspx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:35 pm 

That was helpful. Thank you.

Can a program override your SetProcessWorkingSetSizeEx Function anytime it wants? Does it typically only set max size when it opens?

In the paid version, can there be a rule to reset the max working set if a program exceeds a memory value?

Have you tried QUOTA_LIMITS_HARDWS_MAX_ENABLE flag to force compliance in the SetProcessWorkingSetSizeEx Function?

Thanks again,
Rocky

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:22 am 
Site Admin

I can include this element in the advanced rules so it can limit the app when ever it get over a certain working set limit. So you can construct this rule in the advanced rules. No problem.

And the answer from Symantec just came:
Quote:
We are writing in relation to your application through Symantec's on-line Software White-listing Request form for your software Kiwi Application Monitor.
Symantec has decided to add this software to its white-list.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:21 pm 

I hope I had some influence in getting your useful program into the Norton community.

I would guess that the rule condition memory working set value would have to be higher than the action max working set value. Since the rule condition would be dependent on the rule action, what determines how often a rule triggers?

I will look for pro version update with this feature. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:51 am 
Site Admin

Rules are checked/executed every minute (optional delays can be set). You can then set the number of executions.
It would look something like this: when the app is over 100MB, cut it to 10MB and over again.

Let me know when you upgrade to Pro so I can create the action for you.