KiwiMonitor.com

Kiwi tools support Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:50 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:45 am 

I ran a couple of tests and discovered that Kiwi does not install as a service, but rather runs within a specific user session i.e. me!

I wanted to use Kiwi Application Monitor on a server and leave it running (without leaving the user logged in). I also wanted it to start when the server boots (which I guess I can do via a script), but have I managed to miss a major piece of functionality or is this not something that can be done with the product as it currently is?

I'm happy to grab a copy of the Pro version if it can be made to work this way, but need clarification first.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:10 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, Kiwi does not run as a service. Some research has been done to build a service that runs Kiwi but there were no requests from the users. Guessing the users have scripts like you said, that run Kiwi.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:51 pm 

Thank you for the response. Much appreciated.

I have used NSSM to create a Kiwi service and run it under the account that the other key application services are running under. Having originally launched Kiwi as that user and configured it to close Excel if it is open for longer than 120 minutes I'm hoping that the service will now honour that rule and kill off any Excel tasks that are running that exceed that limit.

I will fin out tomorrow morning whether or not it has worked, but do you see any problems / pitfalls with using Kiwi in this way? I have set the service to auto-restart if it falls over, so I should be able to enjoy continuous monitoring even if the .exe was to crash at any point.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:54 pm 
Site Admin

I don't have much experience with services, but Kiwi has been used in similar cases and it worked.
It's always best to test a rule as a user to see if it works and then set it to run automatically.
You can keep track of executed actions in Kiwi's Log and see what steps the rule reached.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:48 pm 

Thanks for the feedback. I can confirm that running Kiwi as a service has worked perfectly and now the rogue Excel sessions that were plaguing me are a thing of the past! I'll look at purchasing the pro version as a thank you.

The only kicker is that it will only kill processes that have been started by the account that I'm running the service under. That sounds logical, but given that the account has local admin rights on the server I would expect it to be able to kill off processes that have been launched by any user.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:58 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, some app's require Kiwi to be run as an administrator in order to terminate them.
Something like this: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/mag ... 31742.aspx

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:19 am 

Hi,
i am actually interested into this setup. I would like to configure one set of common rules for all users once and for all, and then kick kiwi upon startup and that's it.

Does that mean i have to start it as a service for all user explicitely ? ;(

What about the configuration file ? Shall i edit it locally for my own user, export it and then specify it for each of the services as a parameter ?

How then to access journals (for all users) and statistics (for other users than myself) ?

Any better idea ?

Thanks,
Jeff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:22 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Jeff

You mean all users on 1 computer?

Yes, set the rules as you wish and put Kiwi in the startup for all the users. So the same Kiwi would start for all of them. This is the fastest method, but you wouldn't be able to distinguish between users in the Log.

To distinguish between users you could add a custom message to be written in the log (Alerts => Kiwi Log entry) and contains the user's name (local variable: $user_name$, as you can see from the list of local variables).
You could include this message after any action. For instance, when an action closes an app, you would write to log: Notepad.exe closed, user: xy

Hope this helps

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:52 pm 

Yes, this is what i meant.

Ok, so, looking good. that is kind of what i tried, but i was not sure if i really succeeded (unexpectedly, putting a soft to be started for all users on windows 10 was not that obvious)

Thanks !

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:47 am 

Kiwi Developer wrote:
To distinguish between users you could add a custom message to be written in the log (Alerts => Kiwi Log entry) and contains the user's name (local variable: $user_name$, as you can see from the list of local variables).
You could include this message after any action. For instance, when an action closes an app, you would write to log: Notepad.exe closed, user: xy

Hope this helps

Great idea Kiwi Dev, I just set this up and it works perfectly! Thanks.